With refreshing watermelon and the kick of pepper, this delicious cocktail puts a twist on the classic margarita.
- 4 ounces fresh watermelon juice
- 3 ounces white tequila
- 1 ounce Spicy Simple Syrup (recipe below)
- Agave nectar, to taste
In a shaker with ice, mix watermelon juice, tequila, Spicy Simple Syrup and agave nectar. Shake well and pour over a glass of ice.
Spicy Simple Syrup
- Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper
In a small saucepan, mix equal parts sugar and water. Cook on medium heat until sugar dissolves, but don’t bring to a boil. Pour syrup into an airtight container. Place a quarter of the pepper in syrup and refrigerate overnight.
LA Chavela Coctail
This cocktail—named after one of our good friends in Bastimentos, our neighborhood restaurant in Brooklyn, and the famous Mexican singer, Chavela Vargas—is one of our favorites.
- 2 ounces Jamaican rum
- 1 ounce Ginger Syrup (recipe below)
- Juice of ½ orange*
- 1 slice orange, for garnish
- 1 slice lime (optional)
In a shaker with ice, mix rum, Ginger Syrup and orange juice. Shake well and pour over a glass of ice . Add a small orange slice on top and also a slice of lime, if desired.
- Fresh ginger, peeled
Mix equal parts chopped ginger and sugar with 3 parts water. Bring to a boil and then let simmer until thick, about 30 minutes. Strain syrup through a fine-mesh sieve and refrigerate in an airtight container.
* NOTE: The oranges in Bastimentos are slightly sour, but you can add a squeeze of lime to the cocktail if you don't have sour oranges